Career Outcomes – What Do Psychologists Do?
As Psychology is quite a broad study area, when you complete one of these courses you can find yourself working in several different roles and industries. Some job titles working in a psychology career in Australia include:
- Marketing Professional
- Human Resources Professional
- Animal Psychologist
- Correctional Services Officer
- Youth Worker
- Social Worker
Types of Courses
A Certificate in Psychology is an entry level TAFE qualification that will expose you to the fundamental areas of this subject area. By the end of the course, you’ll have a good understanding of what a career in Psychology would entail, and you’ll know if it is a career path that you would like to pursue in the future. Usually, these courses have no entry requirements, so it is the perfect way to start your journey towards a career in Psychology, especially if you don’t have any previous qualifications or experience.
A Diploma in the field of Psychology is a qualification typically designed to give students prerequisite knowledge that will assist them in gaining entry into a degree level qualification. At the completion of a Diploma of Psychology online, or in class, you’ll have well-rounded skills and understanding in all areas related to psychology, so you’re set up for success when you take on a Bachelor Degree.
With a Psychology Degree to your name, you’ll become a highly sought after job candidate in many different industries. You’ll also put yourself in a good position for further studying, as you’ll have the opportunity to complete a related postgraduate qualification. A Bachelor of Psychology online, or in class, will allow you to become a specialist in your chosen area, ultimately increasing your opportunities for employment or advancement.
Online study is becoming more and more relevant to education, with online psychology courses being no exception. With the ability to study psychology online, students are able to gain their qualification via distance learning in their own time.
According to the Australian Governments’ Job Outlook Initiative:
- Over the next few years, it is expected that there will be an average number of job openings (between 10,001 and 25,000).
- 74.7% of Psychologists have a postgraduate qualification to their name, making it the most common level of educational attainment for this profession. The second most common educational level at 25.3% is a Bachelor Degree.
- 77.6% of Psychologists are female.
- The median annual salary for this occupation is $78,000.
- On average a full-time employee works 37.3 hours per week.
- The five most essential skills for this profession are active listening, social perceptiveness, speaking, critical thinking, and reading comprehension.
- As a Psychologist, some tasks that you may perform include; Diagnosing mental or emotional disorders, developing and implementing treatment plans, interacting with clients, writing reports, referring clients to other specialists and much more!
Complete Your Course Entirely Online
If delivery mode is a major consideration for you when deciding on a course, you’ll be pleased to know that most Psychology courses can be completed entirely online. This means you’ll never have to worry about deadlines and can study at the location and time that suits you the most – making psychology courses online in Australia a great means to achieve your qualification.
Is a Psychology Course Right for You?
If you have a fascination with how the mind works, are intrigued by human behaviours and are after a role with a lot of variation, a psychologist course may be just what you’re looking for.
Choose a course in psychology that suits your needs and interests
In addition to counselling and private practice psychology, the industry offers and incredible choice of job opportunities within human resource management, policy development and research. More and more large companies are also employing psychologists to help keep their workforces happy.
The demand for psychologists is at an all-time high. There are expected to be over 27,000 employed psychologists in 2018 – up from 15,000 in 2007.
It is also a very rewarding job that can take you travelling all over the planet. Look through the courses below to find one that suits your needs.